Binutils on Atari MiNT

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 16:17:00 GMT 2005

Hi Mark,

> Apologies if this is the wrong list for this sort of thing.

No this is the correct list.  I apologise for not replying earlier - I
have been away on vacation.

> The problem we have is that while compiling a certain part of gcc,
> binutils consumes around 10MB of ram before it dies out with "Memory
> exhausted".  I have 256MB of physical RAM and over 200MB free.

When you say "binutils" here do you mean the linker, or the assembler or
some other tool in the binutils suite ?

> I don't
> expect anyone to know the solution, but a pointer as to where to start
> looking would be great.

On the assumption that it is a linker problem I would suggest that you
investigate using the --reduce-memory-overheads switch.  If that does
not work then the most likely cause is an infinite loop somewhere, most
likely in the code you have patching.  I would recommend using a tool
like GDB to find out where such a loop might be occurring.