gprof

Ken Raeburn raeburn@raeburn.org
Tue Sep 20 18:12:00 GMT 2005

On Sep 20, 2005, at 06:31, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> >But also, if you care about the accuracy of the results, you  may
> need to modify the C runtime support code for >profiling, which
> typically updates the per-function data in a manner that is not
> thread-safe.
> may you explain more precisely this point?
> Regards
> Michael

With basic profiling, the runtime support code keeps track of how
often the CPU program counter is in a given range of values, with
fairly fine granularity.  Later this table is dumped out, and (g)prof
interprets it in combination with symbol information from the
executable.  For example, addresses XXX through YYY correspond to
function A, and so many ticks at a certain frequency were counted
with the PC in that range, so here's the amount of time the program
spent in that function.  But that may be inaccurate in multithreaded
programs if the counter is implemented as read counter value N,
increment value, another thread runs for a bit and changes the
counter, store counter value N+1; you've just lost the change made by
the other thread.

For graph profiling, you also need data recorded on entry to a
function indicating where the function was called from, and how many
times it was called from each call site.  Since you could have
arbitrarily many such call sites, this is likely to involve dynamic
memory allocation, walking through some data structures, etc.  If
it's not done just right, it might even result in crashes in
multiprocessor, multithreaded situations, if you're really unlucky
with the timing.

I've never gotten around to modifying the support code to try to make
it thread-safe.  Using mutex locks would be the obvious approach, but
probably kind of expensive compared to some of the atomic operations
a few processors have available, or "store if another cpu or thread
hasn't stored here, and set condition codes to tell me", etc.

You might just get kind of lucky with the existing support code,
though, your program might not crash, and the numbers might even be
vaguely accurate...

Ken