assembler man pages ?

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Wed Sep 7 00:33:00 GMT 2005

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> writes:

> - integrate with binutils documentation/source code in an effort to keep down
> duplicated information in multiple places ... maybe something like using
> doxygen to turn comments placed around opcode definitions in the binutils
> source into manpages, or adding on to the current texinfo sources ...

There are in general no comments describing instructions in the
binutils sources, and I don't think it would be appropriate to add
them.  (I make an exception for cgen, where they may be appropriate,
but most targets do not use cgen.)

> - define a simple xml format and use like xsl to translate into
> man/html/whatever and startup a sourceforge project to maintain it ... the
> benefit here would be a much lower learning curve for random people to
> contribute

If you want to do this, my first instinct would be to just use
texinfo.  texinfo can already be converted into man pages, HTML, and
printed documentation.  This is already done in the binutils sources
themselves.

But this is a huge job with, frankly, a relatively minimal payoff.  I
wouldn't be inclined to work on it myself.

Ian