Disassembling mostly-unknown data

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Fri Oct 21 19:12:00 GMT 2005


David Daney wrote:
> Chris Boot wrote:
> 
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having difficulty getting my head around the documentation 
>> regarding a particular special case I'm facing: I have a binary 
>> firmware image that I need to disassemble portions of. I know the CPU 
>> architecture (it's a MIPS) and ISA and all, but the binary image isn't 
>> in any format that binutils recognises, or that I even know (so I 
>> can't just add the binary format to bfd).
>>
>> Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is have output similar to 
>> 'hexdump -C <file>', but with an added column containing the 
>> instruction that may (or may not) be at that particular address. 
>> Fortunately for me MIPS has a fixed instruction size of 32 bits 
>> although I suspect I may have to play with MIPS-16 at some point 
>> (thus, 16-bit instructions).
>>
>> Would anyone be able to provide me with guidance pulling off such a tool?
>>
> Something like mipsel-linux-objdump -D --target=binary --architecture=mips
> 
> 
Sorry I meant to send to the list as well.  So I am resending.

David Daney.



More information about the Binutils mailing list