Does binutils support multi-target at the same time?

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Sat Nov 26 21:15:00 GMT 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Saturday 26 November 2005 16:48, WU Zilong wrote:
> >      Can I build binutils with multi-target? Such as enable both
> > arm-elf and arm-coff at the same?
>
> ./configure --enable-targets=whatever
> The assembler still only targets one arch but the rest of binutils can work
> with multiple formats[*].

For some architectures, GAS can target multiple formats, though
ARM is currently not one of them.  See MIPS, i386 and
CRIS gas configury bits, grep for "multi".  At assembler
invocation time, the option "--em=objformat" controls which
"emulation" objects are generated for.

brgds, H-P
PS. It works too, at least for CRIS.