PATCH: Minor ELF32/ia64 cleanup

James E Wilson wilson@specifixinc.com
Wed May 4 23:13:00 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 14:42, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> Well, that patch got me farther.  Now I die when compiling
> bfd/elflink.c.  HP-UX does have the ffs function, it's definition is in
> <strings.h> which elflink.c apparently doesn't include.  If I include
> strings.h in elflink.c then I can build it

Most of these problems you are running into are due to -Werror.  It was
a relatively recent change to enable it by default when using gcc to
compile binutils.  Apparently no one has tested mainline on hpux since
that change.  These should all be fixable with trivial changes.

You can disable this by using the configure option --disable-werror.

For the redefined MIN macro, it is better to add #undef than to add
#ifndef.  We want to make sure we get the right definition of MIN, which
is our definition, not the one from the system header files.  The one in
the system header files could do anything, and there is no guarantee
that it returns the minimum of two numbers.  GCC uses a #undef here, and
it hasn't been a problem for gcc.