i386/x86_64 segment register issuses (Re: PATCH: Fix x86 segment register access)

Pau Aliagas linuxnow@newtral.org
Thu Mar 31 15:05:00 GMT 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, H. J. Lu wrote:

>>> That is what the assembler generates, and should have generated, for
>>> "movw %ds,(%eax)" since Nov. 4, 2004.
>>
>> Could this be the reason for the reported slowdown in the last six months?
>
> Can you elaborate?

There's an unexplained slowdown of kernel 2.6 detailed in this thread:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/4940

I don't want at all to justify it with the change you talk about in gas,
but maybe it is worth to check if it has anything to do with it. The
slowdown happened in this last six months.

--

Pau