Unsupported targets slated for removal

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 25 23:57:00 GMT 2005

   Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:43:28 +1030
   From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>

   On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:56:00PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   >    Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:10:16 +1030
   >    From: Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au>
   >
   > Hi Alan,
   >
   >    I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
   >    binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
   >
   > What do you mean with "removed from mainline" here?  These targets

   I want to kill all non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets, to reduce the
   maintenance burden, and allow BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets to be cleaned up
   without worrying about breaking the old code.  That will mean the
   generic support code in gas for non-BFD_ASSEMBLER will disappear from
   mainline.  Whether the corresponding tc-* files disappear or not doesn't
   matter so much, but I favour complete removal.  You won't be able to
   build these gas targets until they are converted over to use BFD.

Fair enough.  Removing the tc-* files makes sense; people can always
get them from the attick or previous releases.

   > from your list:
   >
   >        m88k-*-*
   >
   >        vax-*-netbsd*
   >        vax-*-bsd*
   >        vax-*-ultrix*
   >
   > are still fully supported by me in GDB, and support for them shouldn't
   > be removed from bdf/ and opcodes/.

   OK, I guess that's reasonable.  Please list yourself as a maintainer
   in binutils/MAINTAINERS!

I've added myself as m88k maintainer.  I'm not too familliar with the
architecture, so if someone else steps up, I'll be perfectly happy to
step down.

The binutils/MAINTAINERS list already lists Jason R Thorpe as VAX
maintainer, so I didn't add myself there.  I suppose Jason is mostly
interested in vax-*-netbsdelf* and not with the old a.out
vax-*-netbsd* stuff.  Jason, if you want me to be co-maintainer for
the a.out stuff, please drop me another mail.

Mark