.machine "altivec"

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 17:28:00 GMT 2005

Hi Buday,

> I'm using openembedded to create a powerpc executable on my x86 linux
> box. oe complains about

What was the configure command line that you used ?

> | checking for .machine support... no
> | configure: error:
> | *** A binutils version which can handle
> | ***    .machine "altivec"
> | *** is needed.

I could not find this error messages in the sources anywhere.  Are you
using a customised version of the configure scripts by any chance ?

> openembedded tried to use binutils-cross-2.15.94.0.1. What version
> should I use instead?

The 2.15.94 sources should support the .machine "altivec" directive.
Have a look at the function parse_cpu() in gas/config/tc-pcc.c for
confirmation of this.