Unsupported targets slated for removal

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 22 03:16:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:51:20PM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:
> At 05:40 AM 3/21/2005, Alan Modra wrote:
> >I propose that the following targets be marked as unsupported in the
> >binutils 2.16 release, and be removed from mainline.
> >

> >All non-BFD_ASSEMBLER gas targets.  ie. the following, I think:
> >
> >    vax-*-netbsd*
>
> vax-*-netbsdelf* is a BFD_ASSEMBLER target.
> Hence it should not be removed.

Right.  That '*' matches more than I meant.  If I listed cpu-*-netbsd*
as slated for removal, then I should have excepted cpu-*-netbsdelf*.

> >    m88k-*-*
>
> Work is being done to bring this up to date, see
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-m88k/2005/03/14/0000.html

Good.  However, work in progress isn't enough to save m88k, I'm afraid.
m88k is currently a non-BFD_ASSEMBLER target, and I want to rip out all
the generic gas support for non-BFD_ASSEMBLER.  I suppose we could keep
the m88k backend files on CVS head if the person working on m88k wanted,
but m88k-coff would no longer configure or build.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre