Runtime-library versioning patch checked in

Zack Weinberg zack@codesourcery.com
Mon Mar 21 21:50:00 GMT 2005

I have checked in the patch to clean up after GCC's change to version
number handling.  This should address all reported issues with build,
installation, etc.  Per Ian's suggestion, I am doing a multilib-ful
build with a relative $(srcdir), which may expose more problems, which
will be addressed in a follow-up.

It is now safe again to modify configure scripts in the gcc
repository; you should not encounter missing .m4 files.  I have not
audited the src repository for problematic constructs.  The odds are
low that any problems exist, since the affected macros and variables
all have to do with passing information from the gcc subdirectory to
runtime library directories, but just for the record:
TL_AC_GCC_VERSION no longer exists, and TL_AC_GXX_INCLUDE_DIR has
changed semantics.  Also, the top level Makefile no longer passes down
certain variables: libsubdir, libstdcxx_incdir, gxx_include_dir,
gcc_version, gcc_version_full, and gcc_version_trigger.

I would like to take this opportunity to encourage the libjava,
libffi, and libstdc++ maintainers to convert to nonrecursive
Makefiles.  (In other words, just one Makefile.am/Makefile.in pair at
the top level of your subdirectory; perhaps with included fragments in
lower-level subdirectories.)

zw