build failure for ia64 (due to -Werror)

Andreas Schwab schwab@suse.de
Sat Mar 19 04:30:00 GMT 2005

James E Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com> writes:

> You missed the point.  First of all, there is no bfd_uint64_t type when
> there is no 64-bit BFD.

This is wrong.  bfd_uint64_t does not require a 64-bit BFD, only a native
64-bit type (be it long long or long).

> Secondly, all bfd_get_64 calls will fail when there is no 64-bit BFD.

No.  They work perfectly well when a 64-bit type is available.

> There are no changes needed in elfxx-ia64.c, not even the obvious one
> that you already checked in,

The cast was clearly bogus, because it violated the strict aliasing
rules.

> The only change we need here is a Makefile.am change.

IMHO the only change we need is to check for BFD_HOST_64_BIT and error out
if that is not defined.

Andreas.