.po file priority

Clytie Siddall clytie@riverland.net.au
Thu Mar 17 10:34:00 GMT 2005

This message sent to both: binutils@sourceware.org and gnu@gnu.org

Hi there :)

As a mad localizer, I have been working on a number of your files
recently, and have found that difficult because few, if any have the
Report-Msgid-Bugs-To header filled in.

This header contains the contact address for us to report any typos or
mistakes in the original strings, or to clarify meaning of strings with
the developer.

I have discussed this with the Translation Project at the University of
Montréal, and they would like to encourage your developers to use this
header when creating .pot/.po files. Once that variable is set, it
shouldn't be necessary to do it again: all .po files from that
developer should have the header filled in.

I checked on the TP mailing list, and they said:

> As the gettext documentation says:
>
>    Report-Msgid-Bugs-To
>      This has already been filled in by `xgettext'.
>
> The developer thus needs to pass the option --msgid-bugs-address=...
> to xgettext. With recent gettext infrastructure this is a field in
> po/Makevars that the developer fills in; the rest is automatic.

Please encourage your developers to fill in this field, so we can do a
better job of localizing their files. :)

Thankyou for your time.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc