PATCH: speed up ar(1)

Steven Bosscher stevenb@suse.de
Mon Mar 14 01:06:00 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 13:53, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> > The following patch alters the ar cache representation from a singly
> > linked list to a hash table using the hashtab implementation from
> > libiberty.  When archiving files with thousands of archive members (eg.
> > libjava), this patch results in a 15-25% performance improvement.
> >
> > Tested with an --enable-targets=all build, make check-binutils and a
> > byte-wise comparison of the libjava libraries built with and without a
> > patched ar.
> >
> > Okay to commit?
>
> [Tut tut - no ChangeLog entry...]
>
> Approved for the mainline, but not the 2.16 branch.

Ouch, that's a shame.

I was all cheeded up for the day when I saw this patch and its
effect on ar times for libjava (Ben was my hero  - he does that
sometimes).  As a GCC hacker, I have to build libjava quite
often, and ar time is actually a serious problem for this huge
PITA library.
So the sooner I have a "production" binutils with this patch,
the better ;-)  Is there really no chance that the patch can
go into 2.16?

Gr.
Steven