--as-needed by default

Thorsten Glaser tg@66h.42h.de
Wed Mar 9 22:18:00 GMT 2005

Alexandre Oliva dixit:

>Dropping libbar from libfoo's DT_NEEDED would break programs linked
>with libfoo, and even force libfoo to change its SONAME.

So, really? Wow.

Architectures with static linkage have had that behaviour for ages.
Even the programme pulling libfoo will have to change its Makefile.

And there are systems out there, such as OpenBSD, to name just one,
which do *not* support DT_NEEDED, in order to have the same behavi-
our on static and shared arches, to reduce the amount of breakage &
workarounds required.

//mirabile
--
> [...] Echtzeit hat weniger mit "Speed"[...] zu tun, sondern damit, daß der
> richtige Prozeß voraussagbar rechtzeitig sein Zeitscheibchen bekommt.
Wir haben uns[...] geeinigt, dass das verwendete Echtzeit-Betriebssystem[...]
weil selbst einfachste Operationen *echt* *Zeit* brauchen.	(aus d.a.s.r)