Can't build libjava in gcc cvs trunk 20050227 on sparc-linux: ar cq libgcj0_convenience.a ... Bus error: in bfd_hash_lookup () from /usr/lib/libbfd-2.15.92.0.2.so

Christian Joensson christian.joensson@gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 10:09:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:39:16 +0100, Christian Joensson
<christian.joensson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:11:41 +1030, Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 02:37:14PM +0100, Christian Joensson wrote:
> > > Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
> > > bfd_hash_lookup (table=0x611e1c, string=0x33117f1 ".debug_abbrev", create=1,
> > >     copy=0) at /usr/local/src/trunk/src/bfd/hash.c:394
> >
> > Please compile binutils with CFLAGS="-g -O" and see if you can figure
> > out why bfd_hash_lookup is dying.
>
> hmm, I think I will have to bail out of this now, debugging seems to
> take "forever" and it might even be the case that it does not give me
> anything.
>
> Speculating about the resons for this problem, I would say it's either
> my developmnet system and its development kernel that does memory
> trashing in a way that affercs binutils ar like this, or it is a gcc
> miscompilation (which seems to me far off but still possible) or it is
> a binutils "bug".
>
> For anyone interested in digging into this, I have put a tarred
> achhive of the .o files togheter that you can run your favourite ar
> capable of reading sparc-linux .o files and producing sparc-linux
> archives together with a text file that describes my setup, the
> verisons used, my test run of ar and a simple gdb back trace of the
> Bus error I get.
>
> It's available, for some time..., at
>
> ftp://ftp.j-son.org/pub/aurora/ar-problem-corona/

after all, maybe this is a kernel memory trashing issue, if I run ar
with kernel-2.6.9-1.1032sp1 the thing does not happen, but when I run
with kernel-2.6.10-1.1110sparc18 it does. I will try with
kernel-2.6.11-1.1166sp1 later today...

--
Cheers,

/ChJ