Better default for elf_backend_section_from_shdr

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 2 03:22:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:41:48PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> It seems to make more sense to set elf_backend_section_from_shdr to
> _bfd_elf_make_section_from_shdr.  This causes such sections to be
> treated as generic, which is usually the right thing at least for
> inspection purposes.  So I would like to apply the appended patch.

I agree.  Please apply.

> Thoughts?  Should this be done for the other
> elf_backend_section_from_* hooks too?

Definitely for elf_backend_section_from_phdr.  See the default case in
elf.c:bfd_section_from_phdr.  Please clean this up while you're at it,
to call the backend function unconditionally.  Same in
bfd_section_from_shdr.

I don't think there is a sensible default for
elf_backend_section_from_bfd_section.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre