gc sections and .eh_frame

Eric Botcazou ebotcazou@adacore.com
Wed Jun 29 06:52:00 GMT 2005


> I see.  That extra word emitted just to tie .gcc_except_table.* to the
> function code is no doubt one reason why the gcc patch hasn't been
> approved.

The official reason was that COMDAT groups had been introduced in-between and 
that the patch should be rewritten to use them.  On my list, but very, very 
low-priority given the very, very low interest for this stuff outside the Ada 
world.

> Hmm, I think we can do without it by marking sections referenced
> from .eh_frame specially, and keeping them iff the associated 
> .text section is marked.  Patch in progress.

That would be a nice improvement.  I could try to propose an updated version 
of the GCC patch before the end of Stage 2 if you came up with something for 
the linker.

In the meantime, do you want me to apply the patch on Binutils mainline?  On 
Binutils 2.16 branch?

-- 
Eric Botcazou



More information about the Binutils mailing list