about writing a ld-extension to support linking 16-bit-gas code

DJ Delorie dj@redhat.com
Mon Jun 27 15:51:00 GMT 2005

> Yet i'm not sure, if i shall write my own 'little' linker or try the
> probably 'hard way' to extend ld accordingly.

It might be more fun to write a TRUE 8086 binutils port.  Binutils has
no problems with 16 bit ports per se, it's just that you're trying to
do 16 bit fixups in a 32 bit port that makes it awkward.

I think extending the existing 32-bit i386 linker would be easy, but
logistically complex due to the number of people, projects, and
organizations relying on it.

Alternately, I did write an OMF linker at one point.
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/16bit/djlink/