performance problem when linking for windows

Jeff Epler jepler@unpythonic.net
Mon Jun 27 11:37:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 03:04:28PM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> We produce a largish C++ application using free tools, cross-compiling
> for linux and windows from linux. [...  The] Windows binary can take
> around 8 CPU minutes to link.

Thanks for the advice various people gave.  Instead of modifying the
linker, we changed our makefiles so that some files that had been
compiled with -O0 because they took so long to build were built with
-O2.  These files extensively use BOOST, which creates a lot of sections
when functions are not inlined.  After the flags change, the linker runs
for under 2 CPU minutes which is quite tolerable.

Jeff