Add NOP after store operation

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 14:20:00 GMT 2005

Hi Michael,

> my intention is to add a fixed number of NOP operation after a str in
> arm. I have a problem width the memory bus and I must solve this problem
> width a delay in the store operation. I would change the md_assemble
> function to add nop if the opcode is related to a store. I think that I
> must change the tc-arm.c file and the read.c in the gas directory. Is it
> correct?

Unless you are programming only in assembler then the answer is "no".
You must gcc instead.  This is because GCC calculates the length of
branches and uses different instructions depending upon how far away the
target of the branch is.  So if you insert NOPs without gcc knowing
about it, it will generate code that does not assemble.

If you are restricting yourself to assembler then you should be able to
contain all the modifications you make just to the tc-arm.c file.