PATCH: PR 1013: x86_64 assembler doesn't tak 64bit address

Jan Beulich JBeulich@novell.com
Fri Jun 17 13:06:00 GMT 2005

>gas/
>
>2005-06-16  H.J. Lu  <hongjiu.lu@intel.com>
>
>	PR 1013
>	* config/tc-i386.c (md_assemble): Don't call optimize_disp on
>	movabs.
>	(optimize_disp): Optimize only if possible. Don't use 64bit
>	displacement on non-constants and do same on constants if
>	possible.

This seems odd to me. You only do this for constants, and that's perhaps the far less important piece. What I tried and didn't get to work was the more useful case of allowing symbols here, too. And then obviously the exactly same thing should be done for movabs moving immediates (symbol offsets, that is) into a register.

Jan