gc sections and .eh_frame

Jonathan Larmour jifl@eCosCentric.com
Fri Jun 10 12:51:00 GMT 2005

Alan Modra wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:54:36PM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
>
>>>Great, thanks. I guess looping over the input BFDs would be better.
>>
>>Right, I think it's the best approach.  Not very pretty but it works for me.
>>

>>	* elflink.c (bfd_elf_gc_sections): Mark again the sections rooted
>>	at .eh_frame if the EH tables are not in .gcc_except_table.* sections.
>

> Won't that mark all the function text sections too?

Only if there aren't any .gcc_except_table* sections surely? In which case
that's no worse than previous behaviour.

Anyway, unfortunately the patch doesn't quite work. There are multiple
input .eh_frame sections, and only the most recently seen one will get its
dependencies marked.

While it would be good to reuse the loop, I think we're going to have to
do a separate loop to search for .gcc_except_table*. I'll rework the patch.

Jifl