[Fwd: Re: [PATCH] MIPS32 DSP instructions again]
Ian Lance Taylor
ian@airs.com
Thu Jun 9 19:05:00 GMT 2005
Dominic Sweetman <dom@mips.com> writes:
> Which comes down to this: under what circumstances might it be helpful
> for the assembler to reject a piece of code which it could have
> assembled?
In general, it is better to get a compile-time error than a run-time
error.
For example, suppose some library is written to use the new
instructions. Suppose it's a portable library, for various
processors. I get the source code for that library, and I compile it
with the options appropriate for my processor. Unfortunately, there
is a bug, and the library uses an asm statement with an instruction
which is not supported on my processor. I would prefer to get a
compile-time error rather than a run-time error.
Similar examples involving assembly code in a portable OS kernel--say
one with builtin graphics support--are also fairly easy to concoct.
Ian
More information about the Binutils
mailing list