PATCH: Avoid accidentally opening files for write
Nick Clifton
nickc@redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 19:23:00 GMT 2005
Hi Mark,
>> patch to a generic part of BFD it would be good if you could also test
>> with a --enable-targets=all build, just to make sure.
> I didn't know about that, but will try it before check-in.
Thanks.
> Just a build, or should I try to run some kind of testsuite as well?
Just a build, since there will no binutils executable which will
exercise the new code anyway. (You could run a GDB testsuite with a
patched GDB linked against the BFD library built for an all targets
toolchain but I think that is needlessly paranoid).
> (Is there a way to run the binutils testuite on all targets all at once?)
Not really. You can run the binutils testsuites with an all-targets
toolchain but it will just check the toolchain's default target, not all
of the targets it can possibly support.
>> This assumes that the contents of 'mode' are well defined. Is this
>> the case for non-POSIX environments ? For example can we be sure that
>> the character 'R' is never used to indicate read-only status, or that
>> an OS might allow a file created with just "a" to have the
>> newly-written-to parts read back, effectively making "a" a
>> read-and-write mode ? What I am getting at is, should bfd_fopen()
>> take an explicit extra parameter which tells BFD whether this file is
>> intended for reading, writing or both ?
>
>
> Hmm. In practice, we always use one of the FOPEN_* macros as an
> argument, and these do follow the rules implied by what I wrote. But, I
> could tighten the test to check for just what ISO C requires, which is
> that the characters must occur at the start of the string, so using
> strchr is probably incorrect. OK to make that change before check-in,
> or would you like me to resubmit?
No please just make the change before check-in.
> I'm not aware of OSes that do as you say, but, in any case, I don't
> think we need to worry about OSes that accept other variations. Clients
> of BFD should be using the standard syntax. It's OK if they use OS
> extensions, but I think it's reasonable to say that if they mean "read"
> they use "r" and not "R".
Fair enough.
Cheers
Nick
More information about the Binutils
mailing list