creating binaries by objcopy

Bahadir Balban bahadir.balban@gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:41:00 GMT 2005


Hi,

The binutils manual says:

"When objcopy generates a raw binary file, it will essentially produce
a memory dump of the contents of the input object file. All symbols
and relocation information will be discarded."

So if I have an ELF file that is defined to be scatter-loaded into
various addresses in memory, and also includes a bss section,

a) If I convert this to a binary via objcopy, does this mean I lose
all the loader-related services to do the scatter-loading, and
allocation of the bss?

b) Do I need to define routines that copy the scattered sections, zero
out the bss etc if I want to have such services of a loader? Is there
a better way to do this? Do RTOSes define their own methods to do
these?

Thanks,
Bahadir



More information about the Binutils mailing list