More ld testsuite tweaks

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Sat Jun 4 14:13:00 GMT 2005


Hi Zack,

>>Not really no.  If it is a genuine bug it ought to be fixed.  If it
>>cannot be fixed, or you do not have the time to fix it, then the
>>reason for the failure at least ought to be documented in the comment.
>>If you do not know why it is failing and you do not try to track it
>>down then you may well missing an opportunity to uncover a problem
>>which is not just specific to the arm-epoc-pe toolchain but possibly
>>all arm toolchains and maybe even every toolchain.
> 
> 
> I did try to track it down, but got nowhere.  (I'm still not very good
> at tracing binutils' internal logic.)  Since I posted that patch, I've
> determined that it is a general PECOFF problem, but I know no more
> than that.  
> 
> Alan Modra already approved the (general PECOFF) xfail.  I'd prefer
> not to take it back out again.  

No it is fine.  The reply above was sent before I saw your modified post 
which addressed the problem in a broader fashion.

> Over on the gcc side, we've found that
> having a baseline state of no unexpected failures is a very desirable
> thing - it means you can have confidence that any FAILs that show up
> in testing are your fault.

True - but I would prefer that we achieve such a state for binutils by 
fixing the existing bugs rather than just suppressing the tests that 
reveal them.  (Actually I would prefer that for gcc too... :-)  The 
problem I have found is that once a bug has been XFAILed in the 
testsuite it is left and ignored until it trips up a user in the real 
world and they report it.  I would prefer to never hear from users 
because they never encounter bugs.  (Rather than because they never use 
the binutils because they are so buggy...)

Cheers
   Nick



More information about the Binutils mailing list