[ ld ] Going to contribute

Yuri Rassokhin yrassokhin@hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 07:16:00 GMT 2005

>From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
>To: "Yuri Rassokhin" <yrassokhin@hotmail.com>
>CC: binutils@sourceware.org
>Subject: Re: [ ld ] Going to contribute
>Date: 20 Jul 2005 23:25:32 -0700
>
>"Yuri Rassokhin" <yrassokhin@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have a plan for realizing at least 2 link-time optimizations in GNU
> > toolchain, that is, 2 ld optimizations:
> > - Function inling,
>
>I'm not sure how the linker can do function inlining.  Can you explain
>this further?

OK, I'll do it.

> > - Non-called function removing (iff the final executable is being
> > linked, or the entry point is given explicitly).
>
>This one is already implemented, via the compiler option
>-ffunction-sections and the linker option --gc-sections.

To be correct, this one is implemented for some particular target platforms
only (+)
At the same time, the concept of dead function elimination is
machine-independent (as far as I can see).
Having this in mind, I do not satisfied with (+).
My plan is to implement function elimination in general case.

Best regards,
     Yuri Rassokhin.