RFC: Disallow protected data symbol with copy relocation?

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Fri Jan 21 05:46:00 GMT 2005

"H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> > Why would the linker ever generate a copy relocation for a protected
> > symbol?  I don't see how that makes sense.
> >

> For some psABIs, copy relocation is the normal way for main to access
> data symbol on DSO.

Yes, I know.  But clearly a copy relocation can not work.  We should
treat this case as though -z nocopyreloc was used for that specific
symbol.

Maybe that is what you meant by "reject protected data symbol with
copy relocation."  I am saying that the answer is not to reject the
symbol, it is to not generate the copy relocation.

There may be specific targets and/or cases where -z nocopyreloc does
not work, for some hideous reason.  Those specific targets and/or
cases should generate a specific error.  But this is not a general
problem.

Ian