[Patch] was: MIPS assembler no longer "combines symbols in different segments"...

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Mon Feb 28 19:52:00 GMT 2005

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
>

>>  I agree with this:  it's an ABI-breaking change to suddenly remove support
>>for a reloc type.  It may be desirable for more modern versions of the
>

>  It's not a breaking change -- the relocation has never been a part of the
> Linux ABI.  It has simply been abused.  If you use an undocumented
> feature, you shouldn't be surprised if that feature disappears one day,
> sorry.

What do you consider a "breaking change"?  I don't care if it is part of
some official ABI document.  It is part of a de facto ABI that is used
by GCC-3.3.x

By removing this relocation, you cannot use binutils 2.16 with
GCC-3.3.x.  In a perfect world, Binutils 2.15 would have had a
non-broken linker and we would keep using it.  But we don't live in a
perfect world.

I don't see what is gained in making binutils 2.16 unsuable with GCC-3.3.x.

David Daney.