Running gas and ld test suites remotely.

Jitendra Pawar jitendra@linsyssoft.com
Tue Feb 8 15:51:00 GMT 2005

> Ok, generally the GAS testsuite works as follows :
>
> We specify the assembly files and the equivalent disassembly files.
> Remember GAS only produces object modules and not executables. So the way
> one specifies a testcase is to provide a .s and a .d file which are
> essentially the source assembler file and the expected disassembly file.
> So the testsuite runs the assembler , does an objdump using the objdump
> from the build tree and compares the output of the two.
>
> As Nick said in an earlier post, there is really no need to execute the
> executables.
>

> > Is there any document that describes functionality of gas test suite?
> > Does ld test suite have same nature(nothing is ever executed.) as gas?
>
> Again the linker testsuite is similar. The linker in addition to creating
> executables fundamentally creates a memory layout for the executable,
> hence it is enough to check if the sections have been laid out as
> expected. So AFAIK there is no actual executable that gets run by the
> linker.
>
> Also with the linker its enough to test for the same. You do a ld -r and
> check that the relocs produced are as expected   / the section headers
> produced are as expected etc. etc.

Hi Ramana and Nick,
Thank you for your help.

I would also like to know how to run a single file from gas test suite?
I am able to run gas test suite in a one shot and got 72 PASSES without
any error or failure. But when I am trying to run a single file (e.g.
gas/cfi/cfi.exp) as:

$runtest gas/cfi/cfi.exp

then I got an error generated in dejagnu (runtest.exp file).
----------------------------------
send: spawn id exp0 not open
    while executing
"send_user "$message\n""
    ("default" arm line 2)
    invoked from within
"case "$firstword" in {
        {"PASS:" "XFAIL:" "KFAIL:" "UNRESOLVED:" "UNSUPPORTED:"
"UNTESTED:"} {
            if $all_flag {
                send_user "$message\n"
                return "..."
    (procedure "clone_output" line 10)
    invoked from within
"clone_output "\n\t\t=== $tool Summary ===\n""
    (procedure "log_summary" line 23)
    invoked from within
"log_summary total"
    (procedure "log_and_exit" line 5)
    invoked from within
"log_and_exit"
    (file "/usr/local/share/dejagnu/runtest.exp" line 1912)

Does gas test suite support for execution of single .exp file??

thanks
Jitendra