PIC and libiberty

Jim Blandy jimb@redhat.com
Sun Feb 6 09:56:00 GMT 2005

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
> Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > > Is the problem that there are no PIC object files for libiberty (they
> > > would be in the object directory libiberty/pic)?  Or is the problem
> > > that they do exist, but that the SID build procedure can't find them?
> >
> > Several things suspiciously fail to conspire to produce PIC files in
> > libiberty:
> >
> > - The host makefile fragment for Linux (if there is one at all?)
> >   doesn't set PICFLAG.
>
> On x86 Linux PICFLAG is set from config/mh-x86pic, as chosen by
> libibert/config.table.

That's the piece I was missing.  Libiberty does its own configuration,
rather than using the top-level stuff.  Thanks.

> > What I'm getting at is, I don't think there have been any pic files in
> > libiberty for some time.
>
> When I configure with --enable-shared, I see them in libiberty/pic.

I see.  Perhaps the bug is in sid's expectations of libiberty, then.
It requires that PIC objects be built, but doesn't look for them in
the right place (the pic subdir), and doesn't complain when they're
missing.

Thanks very much.