Running gas and ld test suites remotely.

Jitendra Pawar jitendra@linsyssoft.com
Wed Feb 2 13:21:00 GMT 2005

Hi Nick,

>  > I am using powerpc as machine and my host machine is x86.
>
> Have you considered using a powerpc simulator running on the x86 host as
> an alternative test environment ?  This definitely works.

Thanks for the advice of powerpc simulator it is good option.
I would like to use it, But in current state I wont.

> > I want to use ssh for session
> > protocol and scp for transfer protocol. I have successfully run binutils
> > test suite remotely but gas and ld test suites runs only on host for the
> > similar configurations as binutils.
>
> Do you mean that the GAS executable you have runs on the x86 host and
> produces ppc object files, or that it runs on the remote powerpc machine
> and produces native object files ?  In the former case there really is
> no advantage to taking the created object file, downloading it to the
> test machine, then uploading it back to the host so that objdump can be
> run on it.  ie - the GAS testsuite does not check to see if *working*
> executables can be created.  All it does is check to see if assembler
> source files will assemble to certain expected binary patterns.  There
> is no need for an execution environment for the GAS testsuite - nothing
> is ever executed.

I mean, it runs on the remote powerpc machine and produces native object
files. B doing ps -ax, I observed that while execution of test suite it
executes 'as' command. I configured test suite so it use 'ppc-linux-as'
and 'ps-ax' shows execution of some commands on host like:

/usr/bin/i686-linux-as -o dump.o ./gas/macros/test1.s

I think I am lacking in understanding functionality of gas test suite.
Is there any document that describes functionality of gas test suite?
Does ld test suite have same nature(nothing is ever executed.) as gas?

thanks in advance...
-Jitendra