strip vs. nm vs. readelf

Mike Frysinger vapier@gentoo.org
Thu Dec 15 18:43:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:35:41PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:32:51PM +0100, Erik Leunissen wrote:
> > Indeed, the output of "nm -D" produced a lot of symbols, and inspection
> > of readelf output listed a lot of symbols in the .dynsym section.
> >
> > Thanks. This resolves my initial confusion regarding apparent
> > contradictory output of these programs.
> >
> > It also made me want to learn more about;
> > - the meaning of the various sections;
> > - which parts of source code can be found in which sections (related to
> >
> > Could anybody recommend books or other sources of information from where
> > I could start an exploration of these areas? My first interest is an
> > introductory text, but more advanced material is also most welcome.
>
> The usual recommendations are the book "Linkers and Loaders", and the
> ELF gABI specification - it's not too hard to read.

yep, the linkes and loaders book can be found online:
http://www.iecc.com/linker/

i'd also read through the misc papers on drepper's website:
http://people.redhat.com/drepper

OT note ... ive been searching for the elf psABI for alpha but have
yet to locate one ... does such a beast exist ?  and the m68k one
would be nice too :)
-mike