Linker problem...

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger@sysgo.com
Wed Aug 31 07:57:00 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 16:21, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 03:13:04PM +0200, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> > I tried to find out, when this "behaviour" has been introduced and tracked it down until
> > the changes from 2004-10-14 (Alan Modra and H.J. Lu), checking out the version before
> > (cvs update -D 2004-10-14: ld-2.15.93 20041013) works as expected, and the following one
> > (cvs update -D 2004-10-15: ld-2.15.93 20041014) fails...
> >
> > As the change is quite large and I'm not familiar with the code , I stopped here digging
> > deeper and wanted to ask you for help here as IMHO one of these changes breaks the linker.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-10/msg00227.html
> "Of note is a completely revised scheme to place orphans according to
> their section flags"
>
> I would guess that you have some orphan sections, ie. sections that are
> not mentioned in your linker script.  The linker has some freedom in
> placing such sections.  Just because they are placed differently does
> not necessarily mean the linker is broken.

Ah I see. Well these u-boot linker scripts are quite old and have been used
for years w/o changes and so I thought, the problem is that change within the
linker.

Anyway, it seems, I have to fix the scripts :(
Thank you
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software