cygwin objcopy --redefine-sym doesn't work for Microsoft C++ object file

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 16:36:00 GMT 2005

Hi Jianping,

> I tried to use objcopy to rename symbol of a Mircosoft C++ object file:
> objcopy --redefine-sym _foo=_bar f1.obj
>
> objcopy crashed with the error message:
> 1 [main] objcopy 656 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

> objcopy --info
> BFD header file version 2.15.94 20041229

> Do you know why it crashed? Thank you for your help!

Not off the top of my head no.  But 2.15.94 is now an old release.
Version 2.16 of the binutils has been released, so I would definitely
recommend downloading those sources and building yourself a new copy of
objcopy.  If it still crashes then please could you supply us with a
*small* test case that reproduces the problem.