How do you debug X86_64 relocation errors

sean seandarcy2@gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 01:37:00 GMT 2005

H. J. Lu wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 02:50:08PM -0400, sean wrote:
>
>>Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>>it doesnt matter if you build ffmpeg with -fPIC ... as the error message
>>>indicates, the object files in libx264.a need to be built as PIC
>>>-mike
>>>

>> No. I understood that. I DID build x264 with -fPIC. I've
>>put -fPIC all over the place.
>

> Please try the current Linux binutils from www.kernel.org. If it still
> fails, please open a bug report with a small testcase.
>

> H.J.

I'm running fc4, which I've upgraded from rawhide.

  rpm -q binutils
binutils-2.16.91.0.2-4

As far as I can see that's the latest from kernel.org.

If I were really good at this, I could generate a small test
case, but ...

I was really just looking for leads on what else to look
for. For instance I've noticed that using
-fvisibility-inlines-hidden generates relocation errors.
Anything else I should look for?

sean