Why has MIPS data 'segment' load address has changed...

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Wed Aug 17 20:49:00 GMT 2005

I have noticed that between 2.16.1 and CVS-HEAD that the load address
for data has changed.

In the olden days (2.16.1 and before) the RW LOAD segment was always
loaded at 0x10000000.  In the modern world (cvs HEAD) it loads
immediately after the text segment.

The executables generated seem to run fine (on mipsel-linux), but it
causes some ld testsuite failures.

Two questions:

Q1) Is this intentional?

If so, I will fix some of the testsuite failures related to the change.

Q2) Where is this controlled?  I am haveing difficulty following how the
linker scripts are generated for this part.

David Daney.