Porting issues [please advice]

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 18:01:00 GMT 2005

Hi Cristian,

>    I try to respin up openrisc alias "or32" target wich is dead since 2001

Good luck!

>            1) Where can i found  good ELF layout docs to understand things
> what binutils done.

A simple web search can give you this information.  eg:

   www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall05/cos217/reading/elf.pdf
or
   http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/ELF.txt

>             2) Is somewhere a good porting guide for binutils ?

No. :-(  The best advice is to use the source code as your guide, ask
questions on the mailing when you get stuck, and base you work on a port
that is similar to the one that you are targeting.

>             3) how can i analyse whats happen during linking ? Or can I
> analyse the validity or elf compliance of a elf file ?

The readelf program is pretty good at finding mistakes and problems in
ELF format files.  Try "readelf -a <name of file>".