Linking very large programs with inadequate branch displacements

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Thu Aug 11 16:08:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Bill Yoder wrote:
> What we'd like to do is to open up a hole in the bfd output section
> and insert a springboard in it, so that the offending instruction can
> instead branch to that nearby springboard and then use an absolute
> address embedded in the springboard to jump to the far-distant target.

Usually referred to as a "trampoline" or "stub".  For yet
another implementation, see bfd/elf64-mmix.c, handling of
R_MMIX_PUSHJ_STUBBABLE.  See also gas/config/tc-mmix.c for when
these relocs are generated.

brgds, H-P