[arm-gnu] interlinking with other EABI toolchains

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 16:22:00 GMT 2005

Hi Kevin,

> For simple tests, I can use the GNU linker to link GNU-compiled and
> TI-compiled files.  However, I started applying this to a bigger
> project and I'm seeing a crash (SIGSEGV) in the GNU linker.

Although the cause of this problem has now been found (the TI assembler
was emitting WEAK symbols in the LOCAL section of the symbol table) this
does not excuse the linker - it should never seg fault.  Instead it
should issue a proper error message and exit without completing the link.

Hence I am going to apply the patch below to fix this fault.  With the
patch applied I now get:

   ld: error: bspSystem.o contains a reloc (0x00000602) for section
.data that references a non-existent global symbol
   ld: final link failed: Bad value

when attempting to link your test case.

Daniel - I  would like this patch to go into the 2.16 branch if there is
still time ?

bfd/ChangeLog
2005-04-27  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* elflink.c (elf_link_input_bfd): Handle the case where a badly
	formatted input file results in a reloc which has no associated
	global symbol.