PATCH: objcopy.c: redefine-sym-specific for archive files

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 09:29:00 GMT 2005

Hi Daniel,

>> Why add a new switch ?  Why not simply extend the syntax accepted by
>> the --redefine-sym switch so that if a colon is present it behaves as
>> per your new switch ?

> I wasn't sure if the colon could be a valid character in a symbol
> somewhere, if it isn't then it probably makes more sense to do like you
> said and just have one flag.

I wondered that as well.  I think that in the interested of simplicity
though it would be better to reuse an existing switch if possible.  You
could make the code quite intelligent - if multiple colons are detected
in the switch's argument then it could all possible permutations of
colon-as-file-name-separator and colon-as-symbol-character and only
report an error if there is more than one valid solution.

Of course colons can be valid parts of file names as well.  For example
how should the code cope with this:

    --redefine-sym-specific c:\program files\a.o:foo=bar

>> Also - with a patch like this that adds a new feature, we really need
>> an FSF copyright assignment in place before we can accept the patch.
>> Would you be interested in completing such an assignment ?

> Sure.  Send me the details.

I have attached a form.  Please fill it in and email it off to the FSF
at the address given.