Build failure on Debian testing (cross to arm-none-eabi)

Zack Weinberg zack@codesourcery.com
Fri Apr 22 16:54:00 GMT 2005

Jerome Guitton <guitton@gnat.com> writes:
> Julian Brown (julian@codesourcery.com):
>> In file included from /home/jules/binutils/src/bfd/doc/chew.c:86:
>> /home/jules/binutils/src/bfd/sysdep.h:140: error: parse error before
>> "ftello64"
>> /home/jules/binutils/src/bfd/sysdep.h:140: warning: data definition has
>> no type or storage class
>> /home/jules/binutils/src/bfd/sysdep.h:152: error: parse error before
>> "off64_t"
>
> Mmmm... Sorry for this one. I am able to reproduce it on a linux
> host. I am investigating.

This reminds me ... in the past, I've had problems with binutils'
habit of generating the documentation at install time.  For instance,
in a rather complicated environment where I built the software, then
handed it over to a sysadmin for installation, and he didn't have the
same $PATH as I did, and it blew up not being able to find either
makeinfo or cc.

GCC builds the documentation as part of "make all" - this works much
better in that sort of environment, and would have caught this bug as
well.  What do people think of changing it?

zw