ld problems

Mattias Jansson mattias@realityrift.com
Mon Sep 13 09:26:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 02:24, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 04:30:15PM +0200, Mattias Jansson wrote:
> > typeinfo for neo::scene::Object: discarded in section
> > `.gnu.linkonce.r._ZTIN3neo5scene6ObjectE' from
> > build/scons/debug/engine/libneoengine-debug.a(object.o)
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> You didn't say the target or the version of ld where you found this
> problem which makes it harder to give an answer because we have to
> guess these details.  I'll guess x86 and 2.15 or one of HJ's 2.15.x
> releases.  You also didn't give the version of gcc.

Sorry

$ uname -m
x86_64

$ ld --version
GNU ld version 2.15.90.0.1.1 20040303

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.1 20040803 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.1-r2, ssp-3.4-2, pie-8.7.6.5)

> I expect that if someone analysed this problem properly, you would find
> a reference to the typeinfo symbol in a normal section such as .data or
> .rodata.  What's more, I'll make a wild guess that the reference is made
> inside some function that requires linkonce semantics itself, and most
> of the function is defined in sections named .gnu.linkonce.*.  If that's
> the case then this is really a g++ code generation error.

You're right, I saw that gcc 3.4.2 is now available in the gentoo tree
and after an update to this the problem went away. Thanks for the help!
(and sorry for the lack of proper information in my first post)

/ Mattias