ld .rel.dyn section ordering

Jeff Baker jbaker@qnx.com
Wed Oct 13 20:48:00 GMT 2004

Is there anything other than the order of linked in objects and
libraries on the command line that would effect the order of entries in
the .rel.dyn section?

Our issue is this:  We ship a source bundle with our product, which is
available for multiple hosts (windows, neutrino, linux, solaris).  To
shortcut the testing of the source bundles we've written a tool that can
compare elf files in an intelligent way to determine if they are
different in any way that would effect their execution.  This allows us
to build our source bundles on all hosts, compare to make sure the
generated objects are all the same in a functional way and then only
test one set.  Some of our binaries are being reported as different
solely because the .rel.dyn section exists in a slightly different
order.  We have people looking at the build logs to make sure the source
is being built in an identical way on all hosts but failing that I'd
like to understand why this reordering is occuring.