as/ld silently creates programs with undefined references/symbols

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 16:34:00 GMT 2004


Hi Richard,

> Sorry for the late reply Nick.  I'm still desperately trying to catch up
> after being on leave.

No worries - I know the feeling.

> My fear is that with this approach it's going to mean a series of
> changes at every place that walks symbol tables.  In the long run I
> suspect that that will be less maintainable than trying to find a way to
> separate out the two categories and present them as different entities
> to those tools that need them.

Hmm, well my gut feeling is that would mean just as much work as the 
current approach [of providing a function to differentiate between 
symbols in the one symbol table].  For now I am happy with my approach, 
but if it does turn out the way you predict then I will revisit the 
situation and see what can be done.

Cheers
   Nick




More information about the Binutils mailing list