mipsel-linux and --export-dynamic

Thomas Lopatic thomas@lopatic.de
Thu Nov 4 16:00:00 GMT 2004

Ian, Daniel,

Thanks a lot for shedding some light on this!

I was just a bit confused because the native Linux linker on my system
by default only puts the unresolved (imported) symbols, e.g. _printf,
into the dynamic symbol table. I expected the MIPS cross-linker to
behave in the same way. So, I thought that this was - quite obviously
:-) - a quirk.

I cannot verify this right now, but it may very well be the case that
not all symbols got exported. I just noticed that a lot of the
externally visible symbols were in the dynamic symbol table. And I
concluded that the linker was behaving as if "--export-dynamic" had been
specified. (I used "ld" directly, not via the GCC driver.)

I've had a look at the documentation for version scripts and for the
visibility attribute and for me version scripts will be the way to go in
this case.

Quite impressive what you can do with "ld".

Thanks again,
-Thomas