Obsoleting elfarm-oabi [was Re: PATCH: Reduce size of SymbianOS DLLs]

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 08:52:00 GMT 2004


Hi Richard,

> Some more archaeology.  Following a conversation with Phil Blundel, I
> took a look at the old releases.  In binutils 2.9 there was NO support
> for ELF on ARM of any kind.  In binutils 2.10 the old ABI was already
> that -- old.
> 
> So if any release of binutils had the old ABI as its default, it wasn't
> an FSF release?
> 
> Nick, could this be some GNU PRO legacy?

Thinking about it, yes I think that you are right.  It must have been a 
release from back in the Cygnus days that happened between 2.9 and 2.10.

Given that there never was an official FSF release that supported this 
oabi I can see no reason to retain the code in the binutils sources.  If 
there are any oabi users out there they can complain to Red Hat and get 
support there.

So - please do go ahead and delete the oabi code.

Cheers
   Nick



More information about the Binutils mailing list