binutils-2.14/etc directory not in binutils-2.14 tarball?

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@false.org
Fri May 7 02:07:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:55:35PM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:
> On Fri 6 February 2004 21:33, Lourens Veen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried unpacking binutils-2.14.tar.bz2, and tar gave me a
> > whole bunch of error messages that looked like
> >
> > tar: binutils-2.14/etc/Makefile.in: Could not create file: No
> > such file or directory
>
> Whoops, sorry. It seems that that was caused by filesystem
> corruption. I can't even make the directory by hand. I still think
> the directory should be in the tarball though.

I agreed with you at first, but since all existing versions of tar seem
to cope OK, I'm going to leave this alone.

(Longer version: tar -T takes a list of files.  If it encounters
directories it includes them recursively, defeating the point of giving
a list of files.)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz