cvs HEAD fails building bfd: msgfmt not found

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed May 5 02:54:00 GMT 2004

Dave Korn wrote:
>...   I dunno why it never crashed before.  I don't have an
> old build lying around, otherwise I'd see what it did at that point.  I've
> looked at the CVS and can't see any obviously relevant changes in the
> src/bfd/po directory, but then again who knows what could change elsewhere
> in the autotool infrastructure and have a knock-on effect.
>
>   Do you suppose it's possible that when I've done CVS builds before, some
> kind of generated files were already uptodate (having been recently
> regenerated in CVS) and so there was no need for msgfmt to run?

Yup.  I've run into that kind of thing myself in other packages.

Fairly often, you need a particular version of autotools installed
to handle the triggered rebuild properly -- and the right version
differs from package to package!   No need to worry too much that
unless it hits you, though.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com